1 Timothy 5-6
- 5:1-2 – This is to show respect for your elders.
- 5:3-8 – God does not look kindly on abandoning family members. Widows were particularly vulnerable because they had no form of income. Their children and grandchildren, if they had any, were to take care of them.
- 5:9-16 – This is encouraging people who still have the ability to take care of themselves to do so so the church will have the means to take care of those who don’t.
- 5:19-22 – Sins of those in leadership are viewed more harshly because leaders have been given more authority and more responsibility.
- 6:6-8 – Godliness and contentment together are a powerful combo. We don’t want anything but what we’ve been given and we act as righteously as possible.
- 6:9-10 – Greed and covetousness are dangerous because we begin to do things we know are wrong to achieve what we want.
6:17-19 – Being rich isn’t the problem. The problem comes when we rely on and hope in our riches.