- 15:15 – Key phrase – “wishing to satisfy the crowd.” We often do things to satisfy a crowd that hurts our relationship with Christ.
- 15:19 – Striking his head with the reed was intended to force the thorns deeper into Jesus’ head.
- 15:23 – At the last supper Jesus explained that he wouldn’t drink wine again until he drinks it with his disciples in his father’s kingdom.
- 15:35 – Jesus quotes Psalm 22 here.
- 15:38 – The temple curtain separated the holy of holies, where one could encounter God, from the areas where sinful people could be. Jesus’ death literally broke down that barrier.
- 15:39 – Not insignificant that it is a gentile who recognizes Jesus’ identity.
- 16:16-18 – These verses have been used to justify some of the more extreme versions of Christianity.