- 12:1-26 – These are lists of the various priests and Levites post exile
- 12:27-43 – This was a large celebration, led by the Levites, to give thanks for the restoration of Jerusalem.
- 13:6 – Remember that Nehemiah has asked for leave in order to restore the walls of Jerusalem. At this point, he returns to the king.
- 13:15-18 – Working on the Sabbath disobeyed one of the 10 Commandments. Nehemiah reminds the people of this and explains that they are engaging in the same kinds of sinful acts that their fathers did which eventually sent them to exile.
- 13:23-27 – The children not being able to speak the language of Judah is just an example of how intermarrying caused the Israelites to lose their national purity.