- 51:2 – Winnowing was part of harvesting wheat. Winnowers would throw the wheat and chaff (trash) in the air. The wheat would settle into the container while the chaff would blow away. This reference is to say that Babylon is about to be blown away like chaff.
- 51:7-10 – Though Babylon had seen a lot of success, it’s end was coming. God proclaimed destruction on them.
- 51:17-19 – The comparison between worshipping God and worshipping manmade idols continues. It is laughable to worship something you can make yourself.
- 51:34-44 – Babylon’s glory would soon fade. What was once revered would now be a desolate laughing stock.
- 51:54-58 – The Lord declares the total destruction of Babylon.
- 52:1-11 – This account of Jerusalem’s destruction is actually a recap of the destruction before the exile. This is not another destruction.
- 52:12-23 – This recounts the destruction of the temple just before exile. This was the most devastating act.
- 52:24-30 – This is a recap of the people being taken into exile.
- 52:31-34 – This ending is the same way 2 Kings ended when we see a slight glimmer that there’s hope even in the face of devastating exile.