1 Kings 14-16
- Clarification because of all the rhyming names: Rehoboam = Solomon’s son who was king of only Judah and Benjamin. Jeroboam = one of Solomon’s former officials who God appointed king over Israel. Abijah = Jeroboam’s son. Ahijah = a prophet who told Jeroboam he would be king.
- 14:6-12 – Choosing and worshipping other gods was the most egregious sin someone could commit. Losing a child is the most painful punishment one could receive.
- 14:22-24 – Though it seemed harsh at the time, now it makes sense why God drove other people groups out of the land intended for the Israelites. They were to be set apart so they wouldn’t be influenced to worship other gods and disobey God’s law. By intermingling, they have now fallen prey to these temptations.
- 15:9-24—Asa will be one of the few good kings after Solomon- he’s not the only one, but they’ll be few and far between.
- 16:29-33 – Ahab was the worst of the worst. We’re about to read about him a lot.
The list of the kings of both Judah and Israel can become complicated. Here is a chart of who was king of where when.