We all need a voice of reason encouraging us to do the right thing. We tend to struggle on our own. In today’s reading of Zechariah, you’ll hear that voice of reason for the Israelites. He encourages them to turn back to God. Does anything he says speak to you too?
- 1-6 – Zechariah’s prophecy immediately follows Haggai’s and is addressed to post-exilic Israelites. He begins with a call to return to the Lord.
- 7-17 – This begins a vision of an angel who seems to offer God’s grace and restoration to Israel.
- 1-6 – The newborn child, though facing peril, was saved and taken to God’s throne.
- 7-12 – This depicts a massive battle between God’s angels and the devil and his angels. The devil is thrown down to earth, but is vicious in desperation.
- David’s requests of the Lord for protection are genuine and seem to come with expectation that God will come through.
- So, be sure to follow commandment #5 and obey your parents!