Remember as a kid when you would think about what your three wishes would be if you had a personal genie? The correct answer is, of course, “more wishes”. After that, it’s normally money, a cool car, a big house, etc. Solomon had a similar opportunity, but it wasn’t a fake genie and they weren’t fake wishes. He could ask God for anything. He asked for wisdom. I wonder where that would rank on my list?
1 Kings 3:4-4:34:
- 4-15 – In Solomon’s dream, of all the things he could ask of the Lord, he asks for understanding and discernment – wisdom.
- 16-28 – This story makes it clear that God granted Solomon’s request for wisdom and discernment even though he asked in a dream.
- 8-15 – Like with Jesus, some folks opposed Stephen, twisting his words, to say he had committed blasphemy.
- The Israelites found great identity in Jerusalem and specifically Zion. Zion was a sign of their connection and favor with God.
- This is the difference between someone who works for good, productive results versus someone who works for harmful, careless results.