Remember these from Exodus? These were the priestly garments. They were worn by the Levites. The Levites were a tribe set apart to be the priests who handled sacrifices, atonement, and all sorts of other special tasks. Today’s Numbers reading gives us a helpful rundown of the Levites.
- 48 – God spared the rest of the people because Aaron guarded them.
- 8-11 – Aaron and his family are given everything that is offered to the Lord. They receive this instead of an inheritance because the Lord is to be their portion.
- The Levites also got no inheritance of the people of Israel. Instead, they got the tithes offered to God.
- 26 – The Levites were supposed to tithe off of the tithes they received. This is kind of like pastors tithing since they are paid by the tithes of the church members.
- It is significant that the first witnesses of Jesus’ resurrection are women. Women’s testimony in court or otherwise did not count.
- 16-18 – These verses have been used to justify some of the more extreme versions of Christianity.
- David feels particularly tortured because he is being betrayed by someone he once felt close to.
- 22 – A great reminder that we can cast our worries, burdens, difficulties, etc. on God and he will carry them for us.