Math jokes. Good clean fun. Today we start the book of numbers where, appropriately, we’ll count the Israelites. They counted the number of war-ready males so they could be prepared for any upcoming battles. Don’t get too stuck on the numbers listed, they were most likely translated incorrectly.
Leviticus 27:14-Numbers 1:54:
- 32 – The total number was most likely translated wrong. It is pretty much impossible that there were 603+ thousand men and approximately 2 million people total. If you want to hear more about it, check out our podcast from earlier this week.
- 2 (Numbers) – The Israelites are counted by their tribe – the 12 tribes of Israel – the 12 sons of Jacob (also named Israel).
- 3 – The census was to determine how many men Israel had who were eligible for war.
- 27-54 – The Levites were not counted because their job was to take care of the tabernacle.
- 9-10 – “Hosanna” means “Save us!”
- 15-18 – This passage is often sited when describing Jesus’ humanity and how he felt real human emotions.
- Seek God when you need strength and protection.
- 10 – A concept foreign to us – “be still” – particularly when things are going wrong.