Admittedly, our Old Testament readings have been full of tons of details recently. It’s important to recognize that these were specific details written for specific people. We no longer sacrifice animals or present grain offerings. This doesn’t mean we should discount what is written. God still cares about details and still deserves the respect and reverence required to put that much time and energy into following his instructions.
- 34 – The breast and right thigh were set aside by God as the Israelites’ payment to the priests.
- Based on the detail of all the sacrifice instructions and the intricacy of the ordination ceremony of the priests, clearly ceremony was integral to this ancient culture. We don’t tend to be a ceremonial culture. Ceremony sometimes feels rote, but it indicates reverence.
- 31-35 – Many people read this as a slight towards Jesus’ mother and siblings. The more important aspect is that Jesus is equating faithfulness to God with being a part of the same family.
- The parable of the 4 soils is explained by Jesus as the way various people react when having heard the word of God. For many, it will not take root.
- 21 – The inspiration for the song “This Little Light of Mine.”
- People often try to get away with things and think they’re being sneaky with their evil, but the Lord sees and we often sabotage ourselves.