This is a wineskin. When new wine was placed in a wineskin, it would continue to ferment and create gases. These gases, in an old wineskin, which had already been stretched to its limit, would rupture it. Like new wine in an old wineskin, Jesus’ mission and ministry could not be contained by the constraints of the old law. The parameters needed to be adjusted.
- Even unintentional sins were taken seriously and punished.
- Atonement for unintentional sins or unintentional uncleanness is significant because holiness and sin cannot come into contact. The atonement for these sins was simply to protect the sinner.
- 17 – Jesus came for sinners and the broken.
- 21-22 – New cloth and wineskins represent the new law through Jesus. The old law has been fulfilled through Christ.
- 23-28 – The religious leaders were concerned with the law and Jesus was more concerned with the intention behind the law.
- 1-6 – Key verses for hope for healing
- 5-6 – The expanse of God is hard to fathom.
- Plus, enjoy another classic youth group worship song. It’s based on this Psalm.
Vs. 2 – Intriguing considering our cultural priorities