- 22 – Consecrate themselves – to cleanse themselves of sins through ceremonial washings because God cannot be near sin
- 3 – begins the 10 Commandments
- 12 – honor your father and mother is the only commandment that comes with a promise
- 20 – Our fear of God and his power is often what keeps us from sinning. Many of us have lost this fear
- 1-11 – Slavery passages are obviously problematic. This could be a case, like divorce, that was a practice the Israelites were already engaged in and the law simply gave parameters on how it could be done as faithfully as possible.
- 13-36 – The scribes and Pharisees are criticized for following the laws and forcing others to but forgetting the things God really valued – justice, mercy, and faithfulness.
- 25-26 – There are many references throughout the New Testament that remind us that a clean heart is better than clean hands.
- 37-39 – Prophets had been sent to Jerusalem and ousted by the religious leaders. Jesus suffered the same fate.
- Throughout most of his Psalms, David expresses his great trust in God despite his current circumstances.